Thursday, February 9, 2012

Is Luke Schenn overrated?

So the other day on the Tweeter machine, I found this (I had to cut/paste, so forgive me if it's not Mona Lisa quality):




This guy, @67Sound, went on afterwards with some other stats that I won't bore you with, but the gist of everything was that when Schenn or Komisarek are on the ice for the PK, there are more shots getting through, and subsequently more goals. I found this interesting because I'm a fan of Schenn. I conversed with a couple of buddies of mine whom are Leafs fans about this and they weren't too surprised. The general consensus was that it's because Schenn tends to go for the big hit a lot, which puts him out of position.

So what do you do with Mr. Schenn? You have a young, talented, defensive defenseman who struggles on the PK, which has been near the bottom of the league for the last few years. Do you overlook it and say he'll improve because he's so young? Very plausible. Or perhaps Burke should try and trade him and get a nice return for him, hoping no one else notices Schenn's flaws? It seems a lot of people would love to have a young guy like Schenn on their team, but maybe it's in the best interest of the Leafs to package him in a deal for something they need?

Time will tell, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment